"New" Jersey Girl

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

My dad is 60!!!

Spring is here! My tulips have bloomed, which is very exciting. However, they are starting to be sad because it’s 39 degrees here. What is that all about? I guess I should be used to it because Chicago was the same way, but I hope the ones that haven’t yet bloomed don’t die of frost bite.

We went down to Nashville this weekend to celebrate a momentous occasion: My dad’s 60th birthday. His wife, Connie, organized a little surprise party for friends of theirs from church as well as some of our neighbors. Brad and I were given the task of keeping him occupied until 3:00, so we took him to lunch and then went to Home Depot to do some research on the deck he’s helping us build in May. At 3:00, he received a call from a lady at church who needed some help with the lights at the place where she was having a party. He was on a mission from the second the phone rang. He walked in the door and was completely shocked when everyone in there was someone he knew, including my brother, my uncle and my grandmother! He was completely surprised! He had absolutely NO idea!! It was perfect!! We also had another surprise for him: we bought him a new golf cart. It’s really nice, and he was definitely totally shocked about that as well. And it all became clear to him why Connie had been nagging him to get the trailer hitch put on the car and the trailer repaired. It was really great to see my 2 uncles and my grandmother as well!! We had a great time and my received lots of chocolate gifts as well, which I am sure will be gone in 2 weeks!!! We definitely did a lot of eating, which is normal for a trip to Nashville!!!

The trip home, however, was definitely a nightmare. We flew into Baltimore because it saved us $120 per ticket, but after our 4 HOUR trip home, we will never be doing that again!! It should have taken a little over an hour, but it took nearly 4 because of the stupid Delaware roads. They were doing construction on the Delaware Memorial Bridge and there were 3 of the 4 lanes closed!!! I know it was like midnight on a Sunday night but there was SO much traffic! We ended up getting home around 2 AM, which was not good!! We both took the day off on Monday to rest! (Which meant I got to watch the Cubs beat up on the Reds!)

1 Comments:

  • Go Cubbies!

    That sounds like a lot of fun. It sounds like you two travel even more than Dana and I - I wasn't sure that was possible!

    Dana and I were supposed to meet her parents in Sonoma for her mom's birthday recently, but the whole trip ended up not happening (for reasons I'm still not sure of). Not that I'm complaining - we're crazy busy - but it would have been nice to get away (and even nicer to get away to Sonoma!)

    By Blogger mark, at 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home