"New" Jersey Girl

Thursday, November 17, 2005

The joys of home ownership


So, I am sitting here, watching my husband Bradley build our new desk. We went on a major shopping spree last Friday night and made several purchases, including a new desk from Office Depot. He is becoming quite the handyman! He is a MacGeyver in the making. (Side note: My friends all call my dad MacGeyver because he can fix/remodel absolutely ANYTHING!) This is the fourth piece of furniture he has put together in the time since we moved into our house. He also put together our entire 3-piece entertainment center that we bought at IKEA. I reckon putting together your own furniture definitely saves money because by far the most expensive piece of furniture we bought was a sectional sofa from Ethan Allen. (But it is like the most comfortable couch I have ever sat on....and Bradley falls asleep on it just about every night.) And we didn't assemble a single part of that.

I guess I never really paid that much attention when people said the house was a money pit. We have spent more money on furniture and stuff for the house in the past two months than I ever thought we would! (Thank goodness for that Campbell's bonus.) And we are now the proud owners of a lawnmower, a refrigerator and a washer and dryer.

But I think we are finished for a while. Until we buy the rug for the great room, the rug for the dining room, the ottoman......and the list goes on.

The good news is that our house is starting to feel like a home!!

And tonight I got out of all our Christmas stuff and I just can't wait to decorate for Christmas.

3 Comments:

  • Can I get a Campbell's bonus if I save my soup labels?

    By Blogger Dana, at 10:43 PM  

  • Maybe Brad just can't build comfortable stuff.. :)

    By Blogger mark, at 9:25 AM  

  • IKEA?!?!? You own a home now. You're actually an adult, something few of us can say. I thought IKEA was only for those just out of college!

    By Blogger Hutch, at 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home